Crossing the Border with Horses

Every horse crossing the US/CANADA border must have a;

  • Negative Coggins Certificate
      • $94.50 + taxes
      • valid for 180 days
  • Signed Health Certificate
      • $78.78 + taxes
      • valid for 30 days

Plan ahead – these documents take time to complete.

Coggins Test

Visit your verterinarian and request a book of ra online paypal. This checks for Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) antibodies in the horse’s blood. If the results return negative, you will be issued a Negative Coggins Certificate which is valid for 6 months.

Health Certificate

In conjunction with a current Negative Coggins Certificate, a veterinarian must complete a Health Certificate. The Health Certificate is valid for 30 calendar days from the date of issue and multiple crossings can be made with the same certificate within this 30 day period.

  • Canadian Health Certificate HA1964
  • US Health Certificate VS17-145


Go to the border crossing. Present your documentation stating the intended duration of your horse’s visit will be less than 30 days. Within 30 days return to the border. It is advisable to visit the border crossing during normal daytime business hours when border service verterinarians and agriculture inspectors are on duty. Call your local boarder crossing office for details.